Fighting For The Underdogs In Commercial Property Tax Appeals

Check your Colorado property tax assessment. It may be unduly high.

On Behalf of | Aug 5, 2021 | Abatement

At Robert Hill Law, we have represented people in property tax abatements whose property tax assessments were 25% to 50% higher than their properties’ true value. That could mean that challenging your tax assessment could reduce your taxes by up to half.

Whether you are a residential or commercial property owner, you can’t afford to let an opportunity like that pass. The good news is that challenging your tax assessment in Colorado is straightforward and accessible. With experienced legal assistance, you can challenge your tax assessment quickly and relatively easily.

In some other states, you can give up your right to appeal an improper valuation simply because you paid your taxes. Not in Colorado. Here, you can begin the abatement process up to two years after you pay. And, you don’t have to prove the property assessor committed a procedural error.

The process of getting an abatement is not complicated:

  • You demonstrate that a property assessor valued your property at higher than a willing buyer would pay for it
  • You show that this resulted in a tax bill in excess of the property’s actual value
  • You contest this valuation and the resulting tax
  • If you are successful, Colorado issues you a check for the overpaid taxes

The unduly high valuation doesn’t have to be based on a clerical error. It can be based on volatile market conditions, economic obsolescence or simply supply and demand.

We recently published a white paper detailing the process and benefits of appealing your property tax assessment in Colorado. The white paper, entitled, “Tax Abatement: You Can’t Afford Not to Challenge Your Property Taxes in Colorado,” can be downloaded for free at your convenience.

You have the right to a fair tax assessment. If you believe a tax assessor valued your property too highly, a successful abatement could result in a lower tax bill or even a refund. You really can’t afford not to challenge your assessment.